Find some of my essays below (newest per category on top).
You may also want to check out my games portfolio or my (mostly English-language) reading tips series Ludomedia!
➡️Psychology of Games
- Tarkov: Breaking the Rules
- How Crimson Company maximizes gameplay depth
- Spelunky 2: Fuel to the Fire
- “Insta-Tournaments”: Multiplayer Solitaire?
- Planning and Pre-Game Decisions
- A different take on turn timers
- Artifact vs. Auto Chess: Good Ladders Have Rungs
- Spatiality in Game Design
- The Reset Problem: A Case for Single-player Matchmaking
- Crimson Company: From Vision to First Edition
- Diagnosis: Phantom Depth
- Game Design Principle: Transparency
- Gwent: Braving the Storm
- Systemic Feedback in Competitive Games
- Sources of Uncertainty
- Criteria for Strategy Game Design
- Dissecting Progress
Psychology, Philosophy, Industry
- Games as Conceptual Art
- Reward Fatigue
- Sky and the Price of Friendship
- When Games Idolize Busywork
- The Philosophy of Competitive Games
- Going Cold Turkey With Artifact
- Battle Royale: “It could even be a boat!”
- Cyberpunk 2077 or “Violence is so damn cool!”
- Toward a Productive Games Discourse
- No Man’s Sky: A Tale of Flawed Perspectives
- Why We Need Challenge
- What do you mean, losing is fun?
- Why do we really play?
- Why Elegance Matters: The Lifecycle of Games
- “Video games are too long”: Symptoms of a more fundamental problem
- Games as Experiential Narrative
- Solve et coagula: Ludonarrative Synthesis
- Narrative Gameplay: How games should (not) tell stories